Author Question: A nurse caring for clients on the mental health unit recognizes that the adult clients should have ... (Read 69 times)

dmcintosh

A nurse caring for clients on the mental health unit recognizes that the adult clients should have completed the first three periods of Piaget's cognitive development.

The nurse recognizes that the last period, which begins in adolescence and continues through adulthood, is which of the following? a. preoperational thought c. sensory motor
  b. formal operations d. concrete operations

Question 2

A patient states, When I married my husband I thought he was perfect, but now I know that he is certainly far from perfect.. The nurse reframes the statement by responding:

a. I think you might want to change your thinking since no one is perfect..
  b. It seems as if you think of people as being either all good or all bad..
  c. So, when did you start seeing your husband as a very bad person?
  d. It is good to be able to both externalize and objectify your anger..

kardosa007

Answer to Question 1

B
Piaget's fourth period of cognitive development is entitled formal operations. This period begins at about age 11 and continues through adulthood. The individual operating at the formal operations stage has the ability to organize and work with ambiguity and multiple meanings. In addition, the individual should be capable of hypothetical and deductive reasoning.

Answer to Question 2

B
Dichotomous thinking is a cognitive distortion that involves thinking in extremes (i.e., things are either all good or all bad). Reframing involves focusing on other aspects of the problem or encouraging the patient to see the issue from a different perspective. The nurse should avoid judgmental statements. The remaining options do not reframe or restate the patient's original statement.