Author Question: An elderly woman was brought to the hospital by her son after a home invasion. The woman tells the ... (Read 26 times)

chads108

An elderly woman was brought to the hospital by her son after a home invasion. The woman tells the nurse, He said he was from the telephone company. When I let him in, he hit me and demanded to know where I hid my money.

Luckily my son came home and the guy ran. Which nursing approach would be MOST appropriate? a. showing empathy for the woman's experience
  b. assuming the son had been the one to hit his mother
  c. expressing anger because the nurse had once been robbed
  d. asking the woman why she let a stranger into her house

Question 2

A patient tells a nurse, I want my own private room because my roommate is always watching football on television. He probably thinks I'm gay because I don't like football..

Which communication best reflects a cognitive behavioral assessment by the nurse? a. You feel your roommate thinks you're gay because you don't like football and he spends his time watching football? How will getting a private room change things?
  b. It's hard to feel excluded, but isolating yourself is not the answer. Perhaps you might try watching football with him..
  c. Don't you think your roommate will be more likely to think you're gay if you get a private room?
  d. Well, you must realize that most men like football, but that doesn't mean he will think you are gay..

pratush dev

Answer to Question 1

A
The most appropriate nursing approach to the elderly woman would be to show empathy for the woman's experience. There is no evidence that the nurse should assume that the woman's son had hit her. While the nurse may experience memories of her own experience, her anger should not be obvious during her encounter with the patient. Asking the woman why she let the stranger into her house is only placing blame and is not a therapeutic approach.

Answer to Question 2

A
The patient is demonstrating personalization and engaging in ineffective problem solving. The most therapeutic communication is the one in which the nurse identifies the problem from the patient's perspective and asks how the ineffective problem solving will change things.