Author Question: A patient with severe depression signed permission for electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). Later, the ... (Read 62 times)

segrsyd

A patient with severe depression signed permission for electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). Later, the patient tells the nurse, I signed permission for treatment after my spouse told me I could be deported if my depression can't be cured..

The nurse assesses that: a. the patient's consent may have been coerced.
  b. all the elements of informed consent were met.
  c. the patient may not fully understand the risks and benefits.
  d. the patient is not competent to sign permission for treatment.

Question 2

A nursing student is presenting a discussion of the history of psychiatricmental health nursing and its place within nursing history. Which of the following would be most appropriate to include?

A) Certification for the psychiatricmental health nursing specialty was first emphasized by Mary Adelaide Nutting.
  B) Psychiatric nurses played a part in seeing that all deinstitutionalized patients got treatment at community mental health centers.
  C) There is a historical link between the first nursing program to admit male students and the first training school for psychiatric nursing.
  D) The first graduate program in psychiatric nurses was established in response to the publication of psychiatric nursing specialty journals.

mcarey591

Answer to Question 1

A
The decision may have been coerced based on family pressure. Informed consent requires that the choice be freely made.

Answer to Question 2

C