Author Question: In comparison to people who have not been diagnosed as schizophrenic, people with a diagnosis of ... (Read 30 times)

burton19126

In comparison to people who have not been diagnosed as schizophrenic, people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia are more likely to tell others of their intentions when they are suicidal.

Indicate whether the statement is true or false

Question 2

A patient taking a benzodiazepine says to the nurse, I really like this pill because if I just take an extra one when I get very anxious, I always feel a lot better.. What is the nurse's best response?

a. That isn't the way the medication is to be taken. I think you need to talk to your doctor so something more effective can be prescribed for you..
  b. Let's review the way you use this medication. Remember to try the coping measures that we discussed to help manage your nervousness..
  c. You are not taking the medication as the doctor ordered. I think the doctor will be very concerned that you are abusing your medication..
  d. You really shouldn't be adjusting your medication dosage like that. You need to take the medication only as it was originally prescribed by your physician..

dantucker

Answer to Question 1

F

Answer to Question 2

B
The patient seems to be using the medication first rather than trying more holistic ways of controlling the anxiety. It is the nurse's responsibility to teach complementary and alternative ways to cope with anxiety and stress as a lifetime measure rather than simply using a pill every time the patient identifies anxiety. Mild anxiety may help the individual adapt.