Author Question: A patient taking medication for depression states, I need to stop taking my medication because it ... (Read 62 times)

dejastew

A patient taking medication for depression states, I need to stop taking my medication because it blurs my vision, and I'm making mistakes when I paint jewelry by hand.. Which response by a nurse would be most therapeutic?

a. If you cannot take medication, would you consider a course of 6 to 10 electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) treatments offered on an outpatient basis? ECT treatments usually work immediately..
  b. Do you recall the two of us discussing that blurred vision may occur but that it will resolve shortly? In the meantime, let's discuss how to best avoid getting injured until your vision clears up..
  c. I understand your concern considering that you need to work to receive health insurance. Would you like me to ask the psychiatrist to change your medication?
  d. You may need to apply for a sick leave for 6 months until your depression improves enough to lessen the medication dosage..

Question 2

Which of these statements by a nurse suggests that the nurse will display cultural sensitivity when interviewing a patient from a different culture?

a. The patient's cultural background is very different from my own..
  b. I think introducing ethnic humor is an effective way of establishing rapport..
  c. I have to remember to document the patient's ethnic origin and religion in the record..
  d. Before the interview I will take a few minutes to review actions that might offend a patient of this culture..

verrinzo

Answer to Question 1

B
Blurred vision, an anticholinergic side effect of antidepressant and antipsychotic medications, will usually resolve within 1 to 2 weeks. The most therapeutic intervention is the one that assesses the patient's recall of medication teaching. Moreover, it offers a strategy to assist the patient to cope during work time. The nurse must apply knowledge of the anticholinergic side effects of antidepressants and antipsychotics to select the appropriate nursing intervention for the patient's problem. Although ECT may be offered when patients are unable to take medication, it is premature to suggest ECT or other medications, and these suggestions reflect a knowledge deficit. It is considered best to encourage patients to maintain activities of daily living and work, if possible.

Answer to Question 2

D
The nurse should use established references in order to be familiar with specific patient cultures. Simple actions, gestures, and attitudinal displays that are part of the nurse's culture may be offensive to a patient of a different culture. Understanding this indicates that the nurse will make an effort to display cultural sensitivity.