Author Question: A cognitively impaired patient reports to the nurse that, I had the best time. My husband took me ... (Read 23 times)

CharlieWard

A cognitively impaired patient reports to the nurse that, I had the best time. My husband took me out to dinner and then to a concert. The music was wonderful..

Knowing that the patient is a widow, the nurse determines her remarks are an example of: a. tangential thinking.
  b. confabulation.
  c. hallucination.
  d. circumstantiality.

Question 2

A common goal during the beginning stages of treatment for severe clinical depression in the elderly is:

a. achieving therapeutic levels of antidepressant medication
  b. identification of daily stressors and strains
  c. denial of suicidal thoughts
  d. increased participation in self-care activities

dudman123

Answer to Question 1

B
Confabulation means covering one's inability to remember by making up a story of something that might have happened.

Answer to Question 2

D
During the initial stage of treatment of an elderly client with severe clinical depression, a common goal is that the client has increased participation in self-care activities. Another goal during this initial stage may be an increase in food intake. Such severely depressed clients are not normally capable of setting their own goals during the initial stages of treatment.