Author Question: A patient mentions, My doctor told me I was going to have a PET scan that would show where my brain ... (Read 21 times)

SAVANNAHHOOPER23

A patient mentions, My doctor told me I was going to have a PET scan that would show where my brain has bright spots. Does that mean I'm getting an electrical jolt like in electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)? The best reply would be:

a. PET scans and ECT treatments are entirely different..
  b. A PET scan is a diagnostic test, and an ECT treatment is a form of therapy..
  c. A PET scan involves a substance, not electricity, that travels to the brain and produces a bright spot where the brain is active..
  d. PET scans show us the electrical activity of the brain in the form of light bands..

Question 2

William Battie is recognized in the history of care for people who were mentally ill for the:

a. belief in the contamination theory of mental illness
  b. idea that body humors influence emotional states
  c. idea that attendants and nurses should be carefully trained
  d. insistence on privatized care for people who are mentally ill

meryzewe

Answer to Question 1

C
PET scanning allows for the imaging of brain activity and function with the use of an injected radioactive substance that travels to the brain and shows up as a bright spot on the scan. There is no electrical jolt involved. Two of the options address an assumption made by the nurse that the patient is referring to ECT, and PET scans do not produce light bands of measurable degrees of brightness.

Answer to Question 2

C
William Battie recommended that those who worked as attendants and nurses to people who were mentally ill should be carefully selected and trained. He believed that demonstrating a caring attitude was an important aspect of treatment.