Author Question: A nurse observes four individuals in a waiting room. In which scenarios is an individual ... (Read 15 times)

bobypop

A nurse observes four individuals in a waiting room. In which scenarios is an individual communicating a message? Select all that apply.

A) A mother scolds her son and grounds him.
  B) A teenaged boy isolates himself on a sofa and listens to his headset.
  C) A biker sports a tattoo of an eagle on his bicep.
  D) An elderly man reads a magazine.

Question 2

A patient addicted to both alcohol and benzodiazepines tells a nurse, I can control my drug use anytime I want to.. This statement is an example of the patient's use of:

a. denial.
  b. repression.
  c. compensation.
  d. reaction formation.

Sarahjh

Answer to Question 1

A, B, C

Answer to Question 2

A
Believing one can control drug use despite addiction is based in the coping mechanism of denial. Denial, rationalization, and minimization are coping mechanisms often used by patients who abuse drugs or alcohol.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

Did you know?

When taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors, people should avoid a variety of foods, which include alcoholic beverages, bean curd, broad (fava) bean pods, cheese, fish, ginseng, protein extracts, meat, sauerkraut, shrimp paste, soups, and yeast.

Did you know?

The training of an anesthesiologist typically requires four years of college, 4 years of medical school, 1 year of internship, and 3 years of residency.

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library