This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is seeking treatment for a specific phobia: fear of cats. The nurse in the anxiety ... (Read 23 times)

fahad

A client is seeking treatment for a specific phobia: fear of cats. The nurse in the anxiety disorders
  clinic has established the nursing diagnosis of anxiety related to exposure to phobic object (cats).

A
  realistic indicator for the outcome anxiety self-control would be that within 10 days, the client will
  a. avoid the feared object whenever possible.
  b. face the feared object without supportive assistance.
  c. state that the fear of cats is unrealistic and inappropriate.
  d. practice relaxation techniques and report decreased physiological sensations
  associated with thoughts of the feared object.

Question 2

A client who has been unable to leave his home for more than a month because of symptoms of
  severe anxiety tells the nurse I know it's probably crazy, but I just can't bring myself to leave my
  apartment alone..

An appropriate nursing intervention for the nurse to include in the nursing care
  plan is to
  a. teach the client to use positive self-talk.
  b. assist the client to apply for disability benefits.
  c. reinforce the irrationality of the client's fears.
  d. advise the client to accept the situation and use a companion.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

gasdhashg

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
When the client is able to relax in the presence of thoughts, pictures, or the phobic object, the client
will begin to experience a sense of control over the phobia. Option A is unrelated to anxiety
self-control. Option B probably cannot be achieved within 10 days. Option C: Intellectual
understanding does not automatically convey behavioral change associated with anxiety self-control.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
This intervention, a form of cognitive restructuring, replaces negative thoughts such as I can't leave
my apartment with positive thoughts such as I can control my anxiety.. This technique helps the
client gain mastery over his symptoms. The other options reinforce the sick role.

fahad

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

LegendaryAnswers

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates's recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

Though Candida and Aspergillus species are the most common fungal pathogens causing invasive fungal disease in the immunocompromised, infections due to previously uncommon hyaline and dematiaceous filamentous fungi are occurring more often today. Rare fungal infections, once accurately diagnosed, may require surgical debridement, immunotherapy, and newer antifungals used singly or in combination with older antifungals, on a case-by-case basis.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library