This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse caring for a 40-year-old building contractor with rheumatoid arthritis realizes from what ... (Read 23 times)

mckennatimberlake

The nurse caring for a 40-year-old building contractor with rheumatoid arthritis realizes from what
  he says that his wife and 13-year-old son have taken on many new roles since he became severely
  debilitated.

They have become caregivers, helping him dress, lifting him into his truck so he can go
  to building sites, and picking him up when he falls. His wife has taken over ordering building
  supplies and assigning work teams in addition to running her own home cleaning business. When the
  nurse asks the wife How are you holding up these days? her response is Sometimes I wonder how
  long we are going to be able to provide the care he needs. He seems to be weaker every month. I feel
  like I am going to collapse under the strain, but I know I have to keep going. It is hard on our son,
  too, to see his dad so helpless.. The nursing diagnosis the nurse should consider completing is
  a. ineffective denial.
  b. defensive coping.
  c. spiritual distress.
  d. caregiver role strain.

Question 2

When the nurse wishes to pursue assessment of suicidal ideation in an elderly client, a question that
  would provide valuable data is

a. What thoughts do you have about a person's right to take his or her life?
  b. Do you have any risk factors that potentially contribute to suicide?
  c. Do you think you are vulnerable to developing depressed mood?
  d. If you felt suicidal, would you communicate your feelings to anyone?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kilada

Answer to Question 1

D
The definition of this diagnosis is difficulty in performing family caregiver role. The information in
the scenario is clearly related to this diagnosis but not directly related to any of the other options.

Answer to Question 2

A
This question is clear, direct, and respectful. It will produce information relative to the acceptability
of suicide as an option to the client. If the client deems suicide unacceptable, no further assessment
is necessary. If the client deems suicide as acceptable, the nurse can continue to assess intent, plan,
means to carry out the plan, lethality of the chosen method, and so forth. The other options are less
direct and will produce responses that may be unclear.

mckennatimberlake

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

AngeliqueG

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

Did you know?

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, more than 50 million Americans have some kind of food allergy. Food allergies affect between 4 and 6% of children, and 4% of adults, according to the CDC. The most common food allergies include shellfish, peanuts, walnuts, fish, eggs, milk, and soy.

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

A headache when you wake up in the morning is indicative of sinusitis. Other symptoms of sinusitis can include fever, weakness, tiredness, a cough that may be more severe at night, and a runny nose or nasal congestion.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library