This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A new nurse mentions I think Mrs. Z. is in pain, but her dementia prevents me from using the tools ... (Read 7 times)

jeatrice

A new nurse mentions I think Mrs. Z. is in pain, but her dementia prevents me from using the tools
  I usually use to assess pain. What can I do? The nurse's mentor should recommend using the

a. Baker-Wong Faces Pain Rating Scale.
  b. Visual Analog Scale.
  c. McGill Pain Questionnaire.
  d. Pain Assessment in Advanced Dementia Scale.

Question 2

A client is seen in the 24-hour drug clinic. She's thin, tense, jittery, and has dilated pupils and bad
  breath. She tells the nurse I have been speeding, and now I am burning up and need help..

She
  permits an oral temperature to be taken (it is 104 F), but then becomes suspicious and moves away
  from staff, refusing to allow further examination. She states, You could be trying to kill me.. The
  assessment that can be made is the client is most likely under the influence of
  a. PCP.
  b. heroin.
  c. barbiturates.
  d. amphetamines.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

harveenkau8139

Answer to Question 1

D
This scale is used to evaluate the presence and severity of pain in clients with advanced dementia. It
evaluates breathing, negative vocalizations, body language, and consolability. The other scales are
more useful when clients have the cognitive ability to respond to the scale.

Answer to Question 2

D
The physical symptoms are consistent with CNS stimulation. Suspicion and paranoid ideation are
also present. Amphetamine use should be suspected. Option A: PCP use would probably result in
bizarre, violent behavior. Options B and C would result in symptoms of CNS depression.

jeatrice

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

amynguyen1221

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The National Institutes of Health have supported research into acupuncture. This has shown that acupuncture significantly reduced pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, when used as a complement to conventional therapies.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight. Carrots are high in vitamin A (retinol), which is essential for good vision. It can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolks, and liver.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library