Author Question: A child, aged 11 years, stays home from school to care for his siblings while his mother works ... (Read 81 times)

biggirl4568

A child, aged 11 years, stays home from school to care for his siblings while his mother works
  because the family cannot afford a babysitter.

The home is cluttered and dirty when the community
  mental health nurse visits to investigate the child's school absences. When the parents arrive home
  from work the child's father behaves angrily. He orders his wife and son about. He finds fault with
  the son, asking him twice Why are you such a stupid kid? The wife tells the nurse she has
  difficulty disciplining the children and gets frustrated easily. The nurse's goal is to continue to
  gather assessment data. The remark or question that would create a block is
  a. Tell me how you punish your children..
  b. When your baby cries, how do you get him to stop?
  c. Caring for five small children must be difficult..
  d. Do you or your husband ever beat the children?

Question 2

A client, aged 42 years, seeks crisis intervention. She tells the nurse I cannot take it anymore It has
  to stop. Last year my husband had an affair, and we do not communicate anymore.

Three months
  ago I found a lump in my breast, and yesterday my 20-year-old daughter told me she is quitting
  college and moving to another state with her boyfriend.. After making the assessment that the
  client's nuclear family is unable to provide the client with sufficient situational support, the nurse
  should
  a. suggest that the client seek admission to the inpatient crisis unit.
  b. ask what other relatives or friends are available to support her.
  c. tell the client to be emotionally strong and to let her daughter go.
  d. foster insight by relating the present situation to earlier situations involving loss.

Yixagurpuldink

Answer to Question 1

D
An interview with possible abusing individuals should be built on concern and carried out in a
nonthreatening, nonjudgmental way. This question would be threatening. Option C: Empathetic
remarks are helpful in creating rapport. Options A and B: Questions requiring a descriptive response
are less threatening and elicit more relevant information than questions that can be answered by yes
or no.

Answer to Question 2

B
The assessment of situational supports should continue. Even though the client's nuclear family may
not be supportive, other situational supports may be available. If they are adequate, admission to an
inpatient unit will be unnecessary (option A). Option C violates the concept that the therapist can
review available options but that the client should actually choose the option. Option D describes a
traditional psychotherapeutic approach rather than crisis intervention.