This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: How should the nurse respond if a client asks him not to share information with others? a. I will ... (Read 24 times)

Caiter2013

How should the nurse respond if a client asks him not to share information with others?

a. I will not share information with your family or friends without your permission.
  I will, however, need to share information that relates to your reason for being
  here with other staff who work with you..
  b. The nice thing about a therapeutic relationship is that it is just between the nurse
  and the client. You will have to tell others whatever you want them to know about
  you and the problems that led to your hospitalization..
  c. It really depends on what you choose to tell me. I will be glad to disclose at the
  end of each session what I will report to other staff..
  d. I really cannot tell anyone about you. It will be as though I am talking about my
  own problems and we can help each other by keeping it between us..

Question 2

After several therapeutic encounters with a client who recently attempted suicide, the behavior that
  would cause the nurse to consider the possibility of countertransference is that

a. the client's reactions toward the nurse seem realistic and appropriate.
  b. the client states the nurse is concerned about her, just like her father.
  c. the nurse develops a trusting relationship with the client.
  d. the nurse feels exceptionally happy when the client's mood begins to lift.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

amanda_14

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
A client has the right to know with whom the nurse will share information and that confidentiality
will be protected. Option B is untrue. Although the relationship is primarily between the nurse and
client, other staff need to know pertinent data. Option C is inappropriate, promotes incomplete
disclosure on the part of the client, and requires daily renegotiation of an issue that should be
resolved as the nurse-client contract is established. Option D presents an inappropriate picture of the
nurse-client relationship, suggesting it is used for mutual problem solving. The relationship must be
client centered.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Strong positive or negative reactions to a client or overidentification with the client signals possible
countertransference . Nurses must carefully monitor their own feelings and reactions to detect
countertransference, then seek supervision. Option A describes a desirable outcome. Option B
suggests transference. Option C describes a desirable outcome.

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

Did you know?

A good example of polar molecules can be understood when trying to make a cake. If water and oil are required, they will not mix together. If you put them into a measuring cup, the oil will rise to the top while the water remains on the bottom.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library