Author Question: The situation in which the nurse's primary role can be assessed as advocacy is a. treating the ... (Read 5 times)

neverstopbelieb

The situation in which the nurse's primary role can be assessed as advocacy is

a. treating the self-inflicted injuries of psychiatric clients.
  b. providing preventive counseling regarding violence.
  c. providing care to the family of a suicide victim.
  d. participating in consumer mental health groups to destigmatize mental illness.

Question 2

A client, brought to the emergency department after attempting suicide by taking an overdose of
  acetaminophen (Tylenol), has been lavaged. She appears tense, withdrawn, and frightened. The
  nurse tells her I am Mr. G, a unit nurse.

You seem to be tense and I'm wondering if you are feeling
  frightened. I'd like to sit here with you for a while.. The behavior indicating that the nurse has
  entered into a therapeutic rather than social encounter with the client is:
  a. The statement of I'd like to sit here with you . . .. is offering friendship.
  b. The statement of I'd like to sit here with you . . .. is meeting the need for a time
  of quiet reflection.
  c. The statement of You seem tense and I'm wondering if you are feeling
  frightened seeks to identify emotional needs.
  d. The statement of You seem tense and I'm wondering if you are feeling
  frightened is interpreting her behavior.

aburgess

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Destigmatization efforts are a form of advocacy. The other options are examples of the care provider
role. Option A provides secondary prevention. Option B offers primary prevention. Option C offers
tertiary prevention.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Through the use of empathy the nurse is fostering trust and communication. Options A and B: He is
offering positive regard rather than friendship or a time for reflection. Option D: His remarks are not
interpretations.