This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client with borderline personality disorder has had 21 admissions to the mental health unit, each ... (Read 48 times)

KWilfred

A client with borderline personality disorder has had 21 admissions to the mental health unit, each
  precipitated by a suicide attempt, usually resulting in superficial cuts on the arm.

On this admission
  the client has developed a relationship with a highly supportive nurse. The client has progressed to
  having a pass to spend an afternoon in a nearby shopping mall. The nurse is shocked when the
  emergency department calls to say that the client had just been brought in with multiple self-inflicted
  lacerations. The nurse asks a peer, Why? Everything was going well. How could she do this to
  me? What response by the other nurse reflects understanding of the client's borderline disorder?
  a. I know what you mean. You put a lot of energy into working with this client. It
  must be disappointing to have her do something like this..
  b. I could have told you this would happen. A client like this always gets you in the
  end. I hope this will teach you not to get so involved..
  c. I know the client's behavior seems personal, but it's really not. Clients with
  borderline disorder act out to relieve anxiety, and I suspect having the pass
  provoked a great deal of anxiety..
  d. I wonder if all this could have been avoided if I'd clued you in on the client. This
  is a usual pattern for her. She burned me once, too, when I first worked here..

Question 2

The intervention by a psychiatric nurse that implements the ethical principle of autonomy is when
  the nurse

a. explores alternative solutions with the client, who later chooses one alternative.
  b. stays with a client who is demonstrating a high level of anxiety.
  c. intervenes when a self-mutilating client attempts to slash her wrists.
  d. suggests that two clients who were fighting be restricted to the unit.