This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has tried a variety of CAM approaches to her health concerns. The nurse asks a patient to ... (Read 21 times)

tiara099

A patient has tried a variety of CAM approaches to her health concerns. The nurse asks a patient to describe what it was like going to CAM practitioners. The patient is most likely to recount, The CAM practitioners:

a. prescribed a course of invasive and sometimes painful treatments..
  b. spent a long time talking with me, and not just about my symptoms..
  c. said I would need to become much more spiritual to be well..
  d. told me that there is no research support yet, so I would have to act on faith..

Question 2

Sustained release methylphenidate (Concerta) was administered to a child with ADHD. Which finding best indicates the medication was effective?

a. Increased expressiveness in communication with others.
  b. Improved ability to participate in play with other children.
  c. Ability to identify anxiety and implement self-control strategies.
  d. Improved socialization skills with other children and authority figures.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Christopher

Answer to Question 1

B
CAM practitioners often spend considerable time assessing the person in a holistic way. Visits typically involve lengthy discussions, in contrast to traditional physician visits, where contact is often brief. CAM remedies can sometimes be invasive or slightly painful, but usually they are noninvasive and well tolerated. Some CAM practices are very spiritually focused, but most do not have overt religious elements. There is research support, at least to a degree, of a number of CAM approaches, although only for limited health needs.

Answer to Question 2

B
Improvement in the child's hyperactivity, distractibility, and play indicates the medication was effective. The distracters are more relevant for a child with pervasive developmental disorder or anxiety disorder.

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

Did you know?

Addicts to opiates often avoid treatment because they are afraid of withdrawal. Though unpleasant, with proper management, withdrawal is rarely fatal and passes relatively quickly.

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

Did you know?

It is widely believed that giving a daily oral dose of aspirin to heart attack patients improves their chances of survival because the aspirin blocks the formation of new blood clots.

Did you know?

It is difficult to obtain enough calcium without consuming milk or other dairy foods.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library