Author Question: A rape victim asks a nurse, How do I know whether this attack was my fault? Which response by the ... (Read 105 times)

evelyn o bentley

A rape victim asks a nurse, How do I know whether this attack was my fault? Which response by the nurse is therapeutic?

a. Support the victim to separate issues of vulnerability from blame.
  b. Make decisions for the victim because of the temporary confusion.
  c. Reassure the victim that the outcome of the situation will be positive.
  d. Pose questions about the rape and help the patient explore why it happened.

Question 2

A daughter describes her family as follows: I play sweet so Dad won't come down on me, and mom takes the blame when I mess up. My brother usually ends up getting blamed for nobody getting along because he doesn't stand up for himself..

Assuming the daughter's descriptions are accurate, which three forms of dysfunction should the nurse document as present? a. Manipulating, placating, and scapegoating
  b. Placating, scapegoating, and generalizing
  c. Manipulating, distracting, and generalizing
  d. Manipulating, placating, and differentiating

diesoon

Answer to Question 1

A
Although the victim may have made choices that made her vulnerable, she is not to blame for the rape. Correcting this distortion in thinking allows the victim to begin to restore a sense of control. This is a positive response to victimization. The distracters do not permit the victim to begin to restore a sense of control, suggest the use of a nontherapeutic communication technique, or do not permit the victim to restore control. No confusion is evident.

Answer to Question 2

A
The daughter is manipulating her father by behaving in a manner that makes it difficult for him to hold her accountable. The mother is placating because she is taking the blame for issues to keep peace in the family. The family is scapegoating the brother in that they are blaming family issues involving others on him. Generalizing is a form of distorted communication in which issues are exaggerated by the use of overreaching generalizations, such as he always gets what he wants and I never do; this dynamic is not evident. Distracting involves introducing irrelevant information to disrupt problem-solving or other responses to problematic behavior and is not evident in this scenario. Differentiation is the process of developing separate identities within the family.