This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who takes lithium phones the nurse at the clinic to say, I've had diarrhea for 4 days. I ... (Read 39 times)

Charlie

A patient who takes lithium phones the nurse at the clinic to say, I've had diarrhea for 4 days. I feel weak and unsteady when I walk. My usual hand tremor has gotten worse. What should I do? Which instruction by the nurse is appropriate?

a. Have someone bring you to the clinic immediately..
  b. Restrict food and fluids for 24 hours and stay in bed..
  c. Drink a large glass of water with 1 teaspoon of salt added..
  d. Take antidiarrheal medication hourly until the diarrhea subsides..

Question 2

A Hispanic patient whose only child died over a year ago says, I cannot do my usual home duties or go out in my community because of my headaches and backaches. The patient is diagnosed with major depression.

The staff nurse says in the team meeting, I can't help her. All she talks about is pain in her body. Which feedback from the team will be most helpful to this nurse? a. You should take the lead and focus on reasons for her resistance to therapy.
  b. In her culture, physical symptoms are expressions of distress and emotional pain.
  c. Ask the patient why she has chosen to grieve her child's death in this particular way.
  d. It will take the antidepressant medication about 3 weeks to reach therapeutic levels. Be patient.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

wfdfwc23

Answer to Question 1

A
The symptoms described suggest lithium toxicity. The patient should have a lithium level drawn and may require further treatment. Because neurological symptoms are present, the patient should not drive and should be accompanied by another person.

Answer to Question 2

B
Somatization is common in this culture and demonstrates the patient's psychological pain. The distracters do not give the nurse helpful guidance.

Charlie

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

bigsis44

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Pope Sylvester II tried to introduce Arabic numbers into Europe between the years 999 and 1003, but their use did not catch on for a few more centuries, and Roman numerals continued to be the primary number system.

Did you know?

In the United States, congenital cytomegalovirus causes one child to become disabled almost every hour. CMV is the leading preventable viral cause of development disability in newborns. These disabilities include hearing or vision loss, and cerebral palsy.

Did you know?

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight. Carrots are high in vitamin A (retinol), which is essential for good vision. It can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolks, and liver.

Did you know?

The most common childhood diseases include croup, chickenpox, ear infections, flu, pneumonia, ringworm, respiratory syncytial virus, scabies, head lice, and asthma.

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library