This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A Native American hospitalized with auditory and visual hallucinations says, My father said I should ... (Read 22 times)

bobbysung

A Native American hospitalized with auditory and visual hallucinations says, My father said I should kill myself to save me from bad spirits. The patient's father is deceased. Which intervention would most appropriate?

a. After the patient becomes comfortable in the hospital setting, encourage description of the visions in a group setting.
  b. Explain to the patient that there are no evil spirits and these symptoms demonstrate grief related to the father's death.
  c. Obtain the patient's consent then consult the family for a spiritual healer from the patient's tribe.
  d. Provide the patient with private time to meditate and pray.

Question 2

A score of 1 to 10 on the global assessment functioning (GAF) scale would indicate that a client was at risk for:

a. Mild difficulty in focusing
  b. Mild difficulty in handling social situations
  c. Hurting himself or others
  d. Serious impairment in social and occupational functioning

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jasonq

Answer to Question 1

C
Native Americans frequently use spiritual healers and herbs and a holistic approach to treating the personmind, body, and spirit. Many Native Americans prefer to use their own spiritual healers from their own tribes. It is inappropriate to deny the patient's experience or expose other patients to the patient's visions. Leaving a patient who may be experiencing command hallucinations alone is dangerous.

Answer to Question 2

C
The GAF scale ranges from 1 to 100 . A score of 1 to 10 indicates a persistent danger that a client may harm himself or others. Mild difficulty focusing is indicated by a score of 71 to 80, mild difficulty in social situations is revealed by a score of 61 to 70, and serious impairment in social and occupational functioning is evident with a score of 41 to 50

bobbysung

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

recede

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

If you use artificial sweeteners, such as cyclamates, your eyes may be more sensitive to light. Other factors that will make your eyes more sensitive to light include use of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, hypertension medications, diuretics, and antidiabetic medications.

Did you know?

The term bacteria was devised in the 19th century by German biologist Ferdinand Cohn. He based it on the Greek word "bakterion" meaning a small rod or staff. Cohn is considered to be the father of modern bacteriology.

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library