This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A recently widowed patient tells the nurse, I am having epigastric discomfort. I think I have ... (Read 32 times)

imanialler

A recently widowed patient tells the nurse, I am having epigastric discomfort. I think I have developed an ulcer.. Diagnostic tests are negative. Which phenomenon of bereavement is evident?

a. Preoccupation with the image of the deceased
  b. Disorganization, depression, and restlessness
  c. Sensations of somatic distress
  d. Reorganization of behavior

Question 2

After establishing a no-harm contract with the client, the nurse should:

a. Begin to assess client risk factors.
  b. Continue to maintain close observation.
  c. Decrease observation activity to allow client autonomy.
  d. Begin treatment with antidepressants.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

chjcharjto14

Answer to Question 1

C
Sensations of somatic distress are often experienced during the acute stage of grieving. They include tightness in the throat, shortness of breath, exhaustion, and pain or sensations such as those experienced by the dead person.

Answer to Question 2

B
After the client agrees to a no-harm contract, the health care provider must still maintain close observation while continuing to work on underlying issues of self-worth and despair. The assessment process should have been started prior to this. Antidepressants are prescribed based on physician order. Decreasing observation may increase client risk at this time.

Did you know?

On average, the stomach produces 2 L of hydrochloric acid per day.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

Did you know?

The largest baby ever born weighed more than 23 pounds but died just 11 hours after his birth in 1879. The largest surviving baby was born in October 2009 in Sumatra, Indonesia, and weighed an astounding 19.2 pounds at birth.

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library