Author Question: A drug blocks the attachment of norepinephrine to 1 receptors. The patient may experience: a. ... (Read 46 times)

frankwu

A drug blocks the attachment of norepinephrine to 1 receptors. The patient may experience:

a. hypertensive crisis.
  b. orthostatic hypotension.
  c. severe appetite disturbance.
  d. an increase in psychotic symptoms.

Question 2

The home health nurse is caring for a 79-year-old man with the diagnosis of hypertension who is on a fixed income. He was discharged from the hospital a few weeks ago with his newly prescribed medication to keep his BP under control.

His BP measurements have been gradually increasing over the last few visits, with no other changes in status assessed. Which nurse statement would be most appropriate? a. Have you been taking your medication as often as you are supposed to?
  b. I don't understand why your BP is up.
  c. Maybe I should check your BP at another time.
  d. I hope you are taking your medication. Otherwise, I am wasting my time.

Brenm

Answer to Question 1

B
Sympathetic-mediated vasoconstriction is essential for maintaining normal blood pressure in the upright position. Blockage of 1 receptors leads to vasodilation and orthostatic hypotension. Orthostatic hypotension may cause fainting and falls. Teach patients ways of minimizing this phenomenon.

Answer to Question 2

A
Clients on fixed incomes often take less of their medications so they will last longer. None of the other options meets the need of the situation, and saying that the client is wasting the nurse's time is an inappropriate statement.