This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is counseling a patient with an anxiety disorder by using cognitive therapy strategies. ... (Read 52 times)

londonang

A nurse is counseling a patient with an anxiety disorder by using cognitive therapy strategies.

She gives the patient a homework assignment to keep a diary in which he records the symptoms of anxiety he experiences and the events that transpired just before the onset of symptoms. What is the rationale for this strategy? a. Keep the patient intellectually occupied to prevent dwelling on physiological phenomena.
  b. Link symptoms with precipitating events, which provides a basis for discussion and reframing.
  c. Anxiety gives rise to automatic, negative thoughts that must be identified and analyzed.
  d. Show the patient that certain events are the likely cause of his anxiety and should be avoided.

Question 2

A man with schizophrenia states: I will not take medicinethere is nothing wrong with me Why would I take medicine when I'm not sick They only put me here because they want to steal my thoughts so they can sell them..

What is this patient demonstrating? a. Denial
  b. Anosognosia
  c. Rationalization
  d. Hallucinations

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mariahkathleeen

Answer to Question 1

B
Reframing one's distorted thoughts is necessary for change. It permits the patient to see situations in a new way and move away from the use of automatic, negative thinking. The other options do not reflect cognitive theories of anxiety causation or treatment.

Answer to Question 2

B
Anosognosia is the inability to recognize that one is ill due to the effects of the psychiatric disorder itself; the patient's capacity for self-awareness is reduced by the illness. Denial involves having an awareness of the illness on some level, but minimizing it or denying its existence (as opposed to having never been aware of it in the first place). Rationalization is justifying one's behavior through the use of seemingly logical arguments that do not hold up under scrutiny. Hallucinations are false perceptions (perceiving something that does not have a basis in reality).

londonang

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

Dinolord

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

Street names for barbiturates include reds, red devils, yellow jackets, blue heavens, Christmas trees, and rainbows. They are commonly referred to as downers.

Did you know?

Russia has the highest death rate from cardiovascular disease followed by the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library