Author Question: A nurse assesses four patients between the ages of 70 and 80 . Which patient has the highest risk ... (Read 26 times)

krzymel

A nurse assesses four patients between the ages of 70 and 80 . Which patient has the highest risk for alcohol abuse? The patient who:

a. consumes 1 glass of wine nightly with dinner.
  b. abused alcohol between the ages of 25 and 40 but now abstains and occasionally attends AA.
  c. began to drink large amounts of alcohol daily after retirement to keep my mind off my arthritis..
  d. drank socially throughout adult life and continues this pattern, saying I've earned the right to do as I please..

Question 2

A client does not participate in group sessions due to feeling inferior to others in the group. Based on cognitive theory, he would be directed to:

a. Review his previous relationship with his parents.
  b. Participate in group to receive extra privileges.
  c. Suppress negative thoughts about the group.
  d. Recognize and change his negative thoughts.

kxciann

Answer to Question 1

C
Alcohol dependence can develop at any age, and the geriatric population is particularly at risk. Losses, such as retirement, widowhood, and loneliness, are often related. The distracters describe patients with a lower risk for alcohol abuse.

Answer to Question 2

D
Cognitive theory and therapy stress self-regulation and control to change behavior. Reviewing relationships with parents is indicative of psychoanalysis. Behavior change for reward is based on behavioral theory and suppression of thoughts is a negative means of coping.