Author Question: In response to a student's question regarding choosing a psychiatric specialty, a charge nurse ... (Read 20 times)

Sufayan.ah

In response to a student's question regarding choosing a psychiatric specialty, a charge nurse states, Mentally ill clients need special care. If I were in that position, I'd want a caring nurse also.

From which ethical framework is the charge nurse operating? 1. Kantianism
  2. Christian ethics
  3. Ethical egoism
  4. Utilitarianism

Question 2

A client diagnosed with panic disorder states, When an attack happens, I feel like I am going to die. Which is the most appropriate nursing response?

1. I know it's frightening, but try to remind yourself that this will only last a short time.
  2. Death from a panic attack happens so infrequently that there is no need to worry.
  3. Most people who experience panic attacks have feelings of impending doom.
  4. Tell me why you think you are going to die every time you have a panic attack.

coreycathey

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: The charge nurse is operating from a Christian ethics framework. The imperative demand of Christian ethics is that all decisions about right and wrong should be centered in love for God and in treating others with the same respect and dignity with which we would expect to be treated. Kantianism states that decisions should be made based on moral law and that actions are bound by a sense of moral duty. Utilitarianism holds that decisions should be made focusing on the end result being happiness. Ethical egoism promotes the idea that what is right is good for the individual.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The most appropriate nursing response to the client's concerns is to empathize with the client and provide encouragement that panic attacks only last a short period. Panic attacks usually last minutes but can, rarely, last hours. When the nurse states that Most people who experience panic attacks the nurse depersonalizes and belittles the client's feeling.