This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is prescribed phenelzine (Nardil). Which of the following statements by the client should ... (Read 25 times)

robinn137

A client is prescribed phenelzine (Nardil). Which of the following statements by the client should indicate to a nurse that discharge teaching about this medication has been successful? (Select all that apply.)

1. I'll have to let my surgeon know about this medication before I have my cholecystectomy.
  2. I guess I will have to give up my glass of red wine with dinner.
  3. I'll have to be very careful about reading food and medication labels.
  4. I'm going to miss my caffeinated coffee in the morning.
  5. I'll be sure not to stop this medication abruptly.

Question 2

An individual experiences sadness and melancholia in September continuing through November. Which of the following factors should a nurse identify as most likely to contribute to the etiology of these symptoms? (Select all that apply.)

1. Gender differences in social opportunities that occur with age
  2. Drastic temperature and barometric pressure changes
  3. A seasonal increase in social interactions
  4. Variations in serotonergic functioning
  5. Inaccessibility of resources for dealing with life stressors

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

iceage

Answer to Question 1

1, 2, 3, 5
Rationale: The nurse should evaluate that teaching has been successful when the client states that phenelzine should not be taken in conjunction with the use of alcohol or foods high in tyramine and should not be stopped abruptly. Phenelzine is an MAOI that can have negative interaction with other medications. The client needs to tell other physicians about taking MAOIs, because of the risk of drug interactions.

Answer to Question 2

2, 3, 4
Rationale: The nurse should identify drastic temperature and barometric pressure changes, a seasonal increase in social interactions, and/or variations in serotonergic functioning as contributing to the etiology of the client's symptoms. A number of studies have examined seasonal patterns associated with mood disorders and have revealed two prevalent periods of seasonal involvement: spring (March, April, May) and fall (September, October, November).

robinn137

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

frankwu0507

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Earwax has antimicrobial properties that reduce the viability of bacteria and fungus in the human ear.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

Did you know?

Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. As of yet, there is no cure. Everyone is at risk, and there may be no warning signs. It is six to eight times more common in African Americans than in whites. The best and most effective way to detect glaucoma is to receive a dilated eye examination.

Did you know?

Hypertension is a silent killer because it is deadly and has no significant early symptoms. The danger from hypertension is the extra load on the heart, which can lead to hypertensive heart disease and kidney damage. This occurs without any major symptoms until the high blood pressure becomes extreme. Regular blood pressure checks are an important method of catching hypertension before it can kill you.

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library