Author Question: A staff nurse is counseling a depressed client. The nurse determines that the client is using the ... (Read 39 times)

tfester

A staff nurse is counseling a depressed client. The nurse determines that the client is using the cognitive distortion of automatic thoughts. Which client statement is evidence of the automatic thought of discounting positives?

1. It's all my fault for trusting him.
  2. I don't play games. I never win.
  3. She never visits because she thinks I don't care.
  4. I don't have a green thumb. Any old fool can grow a rose.

Question 2

The severity of depressive symptoms in the postpartum period varies from a feeling of the blues, to moderate depression, to psychotic depression or melancholia. Which disorder is correctly matched with its presenting symptoms?

1. Maternity blues (lack of concentration, agitation, guilt, and an abnormal attitude toward bodily functions)
  2. Postpartum depression (irritability, loss of libido, sleep disturbances, expresses concern about inability to care for baby)
  3. Postpartum melancholia (overprotection of infant, expresses concern about inability to care for baby, mysophobia)
  4. Postpartum depressive psychosis (transient depressed mood, agitation, abnormal fear of child abduction, suicidal ideations)

Pamela.irrgang@yahoo.com

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Examples of automatic thoughts in depression include: Personalizing: I'm the only one who failed. All or nothing: I'm a complete failure. Mind reading: He thinks I'm foolish. Discounting positives: The other questions were so easy. Any dummy could have gotten them right.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The symptoms of the maternity blues include tearfulness, despondency, anxiety, and subjectively impaired concentration appearing in the early puerperium. Symptoms of postpartum depression are associated with fatigue, irritability, loss of appetite, sleep disturbances, loss of libido, and expressions of great concern about her inability to care for her baby. Both postpartum melancholia and postpartum depressive psychosis are characterized by a lack of interest in, or rejection of, the baby, or a morbid fear that the baby may be harmed. Other symptoms include depressed mood, agitation, indecision, lack of concentration, guilt, and an abnormal attitude toward bodily functions.