This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse administers 100 oxygen to a client during and after electroconvulsive therapy treatment ... (Read 37 times)

asd123

A nurse administers 100 oxygen to a client during and after electroconvulsive therapy treatment (ECT). What is the rationale for this procedure?

1. To prevent increased intracranial pressure resulting from anoxia.
  2. To prevent decreased blood pressure, pulse, and respiration owing to electrical stimulation.
  3. To prevent anoxia resulting from medication-induced paralysis of respiratory muscles.
  4. To prevent blocked airway, resulting from seizure activity.

Question 2

During an intake assessment, a nurse asks both physiological and psychosocial questions. The client angrily responds, I'm here for my heart, not my head problems. Which is the nurse's best response?

1. It's just a routine part of our assessment. All clients are asked these same questions.
  2. Why are you concerned about these types of questions?
  3. Psychological factors, like excessive stress, have been found to affect medical conditions.
  4. We can skip these questions, if you like. It isn't imperative that we complete this section.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tofugiraffe

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: The nurse administers 100 oxygen during and after ECT to prevent anoxia resulting from medication-induced paralysis of respiratory muscles.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The nurse should attempt to educate the client on the negative effects of excessive stress on medical conditions. It is not appropriate to skip physiological and psychosocial questions, as this would lead to an inaccurate assessment.

asd123

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

tuate

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

Over time, chronic hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus infections can progress to advanced liver disease, liver failure, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Unlike other forms, more than 80% of hepatitis C infections become chronic and lead to liver disease. When combined with hepatitis B, hepatitis C now accounts for 75% percent of all cases of liver disease around the world. Liver failure caused by hepatitis C is now leading cause of liver transplants in the United States.

Did you know?

The average human gut is home to perhaps 500 to 1,000 different species of bacteria.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library