Author Question: A client states that he is unhappy in his marriage and has felt miserable for several years. Which ... (Read 30 times)

fnuegbu

A client states that he is unhappy in his marriage and has felt miserable for several years. Which of the following client responses would indicate that the nurse's response to the theme of marital distress was most effective?

1. I guess you're right; I should start thinking about a divorce.
  2. I feel so depressed all the time. I don't know what to do or who to turn to.
  3. I never thought about her cheating on me before; do you think that's possible?
  4. I guess we've stayed together all these years because of the children.

Question 2

The client states that she has been ill and in pain since childhood. Her many symptoms are not caused intentionally, nor are they feigned. She has seen many doctors.

Consistent with this client's disorder, the nurse believes the pain the client experiences is: 1. Fake.
  2. Exaggerated.
  3. Real.
  4. For attention.

thall411

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: By verbalizing his depressed mood and helplessness, the client has been able to effectively identify his feelings in response to the theme of marital distress. Thinking about divorce, possible infidelity, or reasons for staying married are not helpful in assisting the client to identify his feelings in response to the theme of marital distress.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: This client has somatization disorder and is genuinely experiencing pain. It is not fake or for attention as with factitious disorders, or exaggerated.