This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A family member says to the nurse, I think my sister needs more medication because she says she ... (Read 12 times)

tichca

A family member says to the nurse, I think my sister needs more medication because she says she cannot sit still and is moving her legs back and forth. The client's risperidone (Risperdal) was recently increased to 10 mg daily.

What is the correct nursing response? 1. I will check with your sister because what you are describing sounds like a side effect called akathisia.
  2. I will check to see what your sister has been prescribed because some clients get anxious when their medications are increased.
  3. I will see if your sister has been prescribed a medication to counteract the dystonic reaction that she is having.
  4. I will call the doctor and report that your sister is developing a tolerance to risperidone and the dose is not effective.

Question 2

The nurse knows that medication teaching has been ineffective when the client with an anxiety disorder states, My SSRI isn't working. I've been on it for:

1. One week.
  2. Four weeks.
  3. 12 weeks.
  4. Eight weeks.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

briezy

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Akathisia is the inability to sit still for more than a few minutes or the feeling of not being able to sit still. It is a side effect of antipsychotic medication that can be very distressing to the client. The nurse should assess the patient to determine if she has akathisia. It would not be typical for a client to get anxious just because the medications were increased. A dystonia would be an abnormal tonic muscle contraction. Risperidone is not addictive and clients do not develop tolerance to it.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Typically, an SSRI takes four weeks for a therapeutic response and up to 812 weeks to see a full response to the drug.

tichca

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

zacnyjessica

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Although not all of the following muscle groups are commonly used, intramuscular injections may be given into the abdominals, biceps, calves, deltoids, gluteals, laterals, pectorals, quadriceps, trapezoids, and triceps.

Did you know?

Essential fatty acids have been shown to be effective against ulcers, asthma, dental cavities, and skin disorders such as acne.

Did you know?

People who have myopia, or nearsightedness, are not able to see objects at a distance but only up close. It occurs when the cornea is either curved too steeply, the eye is too long, or both. This condition is progressive and worsens with time. More than 100 million people in the United States are nearsighted, but only 20% of those are born with the condition. Diet, eye exercise, drug therapy, and corrective lenses can all help manage nearsightedness.

Did you know?

In most climates, 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is recommended for adults. The best indicator for adequate fluid intake is frequent, clear urination.

Did you know?

Coca-Cola originally used coca leaves and caffeine from the African kola nut. It was advertised as a therapeutic agent and "pickerupper." Eventually, its formulation was changed, and the coca leaves were removed because of the effects of regulation on cocaine-related products.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library