This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse tells a psychotic client with alcohol dependence not to drink while taking the ... (Read 35 times)

maychende

The nurse tells a psychotic client with alcohol dependence not to drink while taking the antipsychotic medication. How would the nurse's supervisor evaluate this teaching statement?

1. There is no reason why the client cannot have one or two drinks per day.
  2. It is not possible for a client with a psychotic disorder to be successful in staying sober.
  3. It is a correct statement that should motivate the client to quit drinking.
  4. Without treatment for the alcohol dependence, the client will be more likely to not take the medication.

Question 2

The nurse suspects a client is unwilling to demonstrate self-sufficiency or independence in the therapeutic relationship when the client says, You are the only person I can talk to or trust.

Let's go out to dinner tonight so we can spend more time together. Which one of the following nurse responses is most appropriate in this situation? 1. I sense we are beginning to make real progress; I think that's a great idea.
  2. Maybe some other time, but right now I'm involved in a significant relationship and don't feel right about meeting you for dinner.
  3. I sense you've become too dependent on this relationship; let's examine your feelings toward me.
  4. You've become too dependent on me, so I will have to terminate our relationship.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

sylvia

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: The alcohol dependence must be a part of the client's treatment plan or the client will likely not take the medication. Telling a client not to drink does not provide enough motivation to quit drinking. A person with alcohol dependence should not drink one or two drinks per day. It is possible for a client with a psychotic disorder to be successful at staying sober.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Examining a client's feelings toward the nurse brings the inappropriate behavior to the attention of the client and is an appropriate way to deal with this acting-out behavior. Although increasing the frequency of contacts in the professional setting is appropriate, agreeing to meet the client socially is inappropriate and could encourage further dependency. Terminating the relationship is unnecessary unless repeated dangerous acting-out behavior occurs. Suggesting that the nurse would meet the client socially if not for involvement in a significant relationship may encourage further dependency and foster the client's mistaken expectation that a relationship might be possible in the future.

maychende

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

komodo7

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Prostaglandins were first isolated from human semen in Sweden in the 1930s. They were so named because the researcher thought that they came from the prostate gland. In fact, prostaglandins exist and are synthesized in almost every cell of the body.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library