This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client has received some bad news about a prognosis from the physician. When the nurse comes in ... (Read 15 times)

mwit1967

A client has received some bad news about a prognosis from the physician. When the nurse comes in with medications, the client states in an angry tone, You're late; I was just about to call the hospital administrator to complain.

The nurse is aware that the client received a disappointing prognosis and understands the behavior as displacement. The nurse is silent for a few moments to let the client collect some thoughts and control any feelings. Which response should the nurse make next? 1. You are really angry at your physician; why don't you tell the physician how you feel.
  2. You must be really angry at me.
  3. I'm not late if I get this medication to you within thirty minutes of the scheduled time.
  4. I know you heard some bad news today. I wonder if that could be bothering you.

Question 2

Which of the following client behaviors would indicate a need for further intervention in the anxious patient on a benzodiazepine?

1. The client asking to be taken off the medication gradually
  2. The client relying more on coping skills and taking less medication
  3. The client inquiring about behavior methods for anxiety control
  4. The client requesting a higher dose of drug to achieve the intended effect

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bimper21

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Acknowledging the client's prognosis will help the client examine thoughts and feelings more realistically and opens up the possibility for a discussion of anger. Stating that the client must be angry with the nurse, or defending the medication timetable, is self-focusing and does not recognize displacement. Suggesting that the client express anger to the physician shows a misunderstanding of the purpose of displacement and fails to focus on the client's thoughts and feelings.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Requesting higher doses of a benzodiazepine can be a sign of tolerance and addiction. The other responses are actually signs of relying less on the medication and more on coping strategies and are positive signs.

mwit1967

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

strudel15

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released reports detailing the deaths of infants (younger than 1 year of age) who died after being given cold and cough medications. This underscores the importance of educating parents that children younger than 2 years of age should never be given over-the-counter cold and cough medications without consulting their physicians.

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

Did you know?

The term pharmacology is derived from the Greek words pharmakon("claim, medicine, poison, or remedy") and logos ("study").

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library