This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client who abuses alcohol was brought to the hospital as a police hold after a fight with his ... (Read 33 times)

casperchen82

A client who abuses alcohol was brought to the hospital as a police hold after a fight with his wife. When the client is sober, the nurse recognizes that the client is using a defensive behavior called rationalization.

Which statement did the client make? 1. I don't remember doing any of those things.
  2. The police are always out to get me; I bet they were watching my house.
  3. I just needed my space. If she had just left me alone, I wouldn't have hit her.
  4. When my wife comes in, tell her to take the money I left in the hospital safe.

Question 2

The nurse is planning care for a client who has been withdrawn and isolated for the last three days. Which action will best demonstrate the nurse's empathy for this client?

1. Encourage the client's attendance and participation in groups.
  2. Focus on the client's strengths to enhance self-esteem.
  3. Explore the client's feelings of anger related to powerlessness.
  4. Approach the client regularly and spend time with the client.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

vish98

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Rationalization is a falsification of experience through construction of a social or local explanation. The client not remembering could be repression. Feeling that the police are out to get the client sounds like projection. Suggesting that the wife should retrieve the money from the safe does not indicate a defensive behavior.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The nurse who acknowledges and focuses on being with a withdrawn client demonstrates a willingness to understand the experience of the client on his or her terms. Focusing on the client's strengths conveys respect and hope. Exploring feelings related to powerlessness makes the assumption that the nurse already knows the client's inner experience. Encouraging attendance and participation in groups does not respond to the client's feelings or experience.

Did you know?

Hypertension is a silent killer because it is deadly and has no significant early symptoms. The danger from hypertension is the extra load on the heart, which can lead to hypertensive heart disease and kidney damage. This occurs without any major symptoms until the high blood pressure becomes extreme. Regular blood pressure checks are an important method of catching hypertension before it can kill you.

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

Did you know?

In 2006, a generic antinausea drug named ondansetron was approved. It is used to stop nausea and vomiting associated with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

A seasonal flu vaccine is the best way to reduce the chances you will get seasonal influenza and spread it to others.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library