Author Question: A client admitted to the inpatient psychiatric unit after a recent suicide attempt tells the nurse, ... (Read 67 times)

Wadzanai

A client admitted to the inpatient psychiatric unit after a recent suicide attempt tells the nurse, Even though suicide is against my religion, I was in so much emotional distress that I didn't think I could keep on living.

I'm really struggling with my spiritual conscience and don't know what I should do. Which of the following nurse responses is most appropriate? 1. It sounds like spirituality plays a significant role in your life. Tell me what beliefs are most important to you.
  2. I'm not very comfortable discussing religious matters. This is something you should talk to your priest or pastor about.
  3. I think you should pray for forgiveness and turn all your problems over to God.
  4. I hear that you are having a real struggle with your spiritual beliefs. Tell me what I can do to help.

Question 2

What items should be included in the admission nursing assessment for a new client? Standard Text: Select all that apply.

1. Genetic counseling
  2. Health history
  3. Support systems
  4. Current stressors
  5. Genetic testing

xiazhe

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Asking clients to identify which spiritual beliefs are most important to them enables the nurse to reassure clients who fear that their beliefs will be challenged or minimized in a psychiatric environment. The nurse should avoid offering advice such as suggesting the client pray and turn all troubles over to God. Referring the client to a priest or pastor abdicates the nurse's role in helping clients explore the importance of spiritual beliefs in their recovery. Asking clients to tell the nurse what can be done to help places the responsibility for action on the nurse rather than the client and does not encourage discussion of spiritual beliefs.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The health history may help rule out a physiologic disorder and gives baseline information for the physical assessment. It will be important to know what support systems are available to assist the client in the recovery process. It is important to know what types of immediate interventions may be necessary to address current stressors as they may contribute to being helpless and hopeless. Neither genetic testing nor genetic counseling is necessary for the immediate care of the client.