Author Question: A suicidal client tells his psychiatric nurse practitioner, My death will benefit my family; I'm ... (Read 25 times)

sam.t96

A suicidal client tells his psychiatric nurse practitioner, My death will benefit my family; I'm 83-years-old and have outlived my usefulness. The nurse practitioner knows this is an example of:

1. Suicide theory.
  2. Sociocultural theory.
  3. Interpersonal theory.
  4. Biologic theory.

Question 2

The nurse expresses ambivalence about the use of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). How can this attitude influence client care?

1. This attitude may be communicated to the client and the family, thus hindering the nursing care.
  2. The client may be unaware of the nurse's attitude.
  3. The nurse's attitude may spread to other staff members.
  4. The nurse's ambivalence will have no effect as long as the nurse is professional.

Danny Ewald

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Sociocultural theories about suicide propose that the social and cultural contexts in which the individual lives influence the expression of suicidality. The client believes he is not useful to his family because of his age.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The nurse's attitude about the underlying neurobiology of behavior can influence therapeutic outcomes. It is important to consider how treatment outcomes are potentially influenced by both the style and the knowledge incorporated into nursing interventions. The nurse's attitude may be conveyed to the client through nonverbal communication. Other staff members may be influenced by ambivalent attitudes.