This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client with schizophrenia has made the comment to the nurse, My family's life would be a whole lot ... (Read 27 times)

Alainaaa8

A client with schizophrenia has made the comment to the nurse, My family's life would be a whole lot simpler if I was dead and gone. When responding to this client's allusion to suicide, what principle should the nurse enact?

A) Take every threat of suicide seriously.
  B) Counter every threat of suicide with an encouraging response.
  C) Respond to mentions of suicide with sympathy.
  D) View references to suicide as a symptom of disease rather than a threat to health.

Question 2

During a depressed client's admission assessment, she makes the statement to the nurse, I don't see how there's any possible way out of this. I don't feel like things are ever going to get any better for me.

This statement would provide evidence for what nursing diagnosis?
  A) Risk for Complicated Grieving related to depression as evidence by the client's statement that there is no possible way out of this
  B) Hopelessness related to depression as evidence by the client's statement that things will never get any better
  C) Chronic Low Self-Esteem related to depression as evidence by the client's statement that things will never get any better
  D) Stress Overload related to depression as evidence by the client's statement that there is no possible way out of this

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

epscape

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A
Nurses must take any threat of suicide (ideation or attempt) seriously. An encouraging response is often simplistic, and sympathy is not normally an appropriate response. Even though a statement may be symptomatic of a disease process, it should still be seen as an acute threat.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B
This client's statement is best characterized as expressing hopelessness. There is no indication that the client's self-esteem is chronically low. Stress overload and grief are plausible diagnoses in individuals with depression but neither is directly suggested by this client's statements.

Alainaaa8

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

bigcheese9

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The strongest synthetic topical retinoid drug available, tazarotene, is used to treat sun-damaged skin, acne, and psoriasis.

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

In most climates, 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is recommended for adults. The best indicator for adequate fluid intake is frequent, clear urination.

Did you know?

It is difficult to obtain enough calcium without consuming milk or other dairy foods.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library