This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Following several months of increasing forgetfulness, Mr. Sparrow was diagnosed with dementia. ... (Read 34 times)

Alygatorr01285

Following several months of increasing forgetfulness, Mr. Sparrow was diagnosed with dementia.

During the community health nurse's current visit to Mr. and Mrs. Sparrow's home, Mr. Sparrow makes an inappropriate sexual remark to the nurse. His wife is intensely embarrassed, stating that he has always been a polite a
  should be aware of which of the following facts when interpreting Mr. Sparrow's statement?
  A) There is a need to set firm boundaries with clients who have cognitive disorders.
  B) The client is exhibiting aggression as a result of his disease process.
  C) Different clients respond to the stress of being diagnosed with a cognitive disorder in different ways.
  D) This behavior is likely caused by alterations in reasoning as a result of brain changes.

Question 2

A 73-year-old woman has been providing for all of her husband's needs since he was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease 2 years ago.

The woman considers herself to be resourceful and resilient and is proud of the fact that her husband has been able to remain in his home for so long. Today, however, the woman describes herself to the nurse as being drained dry and near the end of my rope. The nurse should recognize the possibility of what nursing diagnosis?
  A) Ineffective Coping related to client's changes in health as evidenced by the wife's statement that she is near the end of my rope
  B) Caregiver Role Strain related to caregiving responsibilities as evidenced by the wife's statement that she is near the end of my rope
  C) Fatigue related to caregiving responsibilities as evidenced by the wife's statement that she is drained dry
  D) Risk for Anxiety related to client's prognosis as evidenced by the client's wife's statement that she is near the end of my rope

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

abro1885

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
As a result of dementia, clients may begin to exhibit uncharacteristic disregard for social conduct. For example, they may disrobe in public, exhibit inappropriate sexual behavior, suddenly use profanity, and strike out at others when frustrated. Families find such changes alarming and distressing. Sexual comments are not necessarily synonymous with aggression.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B
The combination of the wife's circumstances, responsibilities, and statements are suggestive of the fact that she is experiencing caregiver role strain. This does not preclude fatigue, anxiety, or ineffective coping, but none of these is as clearly indicated as caregiver role strain.

Alygatorr01285

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

billybob123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Most fungi that pathogenically affect humans live in soil. If a person is not healthy, has an open wound, or is immunocompromised, a fungal infection can be very aggressive.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library