Author Question: A 31-year-old man has been brought to the emergency department by his partner, who states that he ... (Read 16 times)

neverstopbelieb

A 31-year-old man has been brought to the emergency department by his partner, who states that he has likely overdosed on heroin. Which of the following nursing diagnoses is the nurse's most likely priority?

A) Disturbed Thought Processes
  B) Risk for Impaired Liver Function
  C) Ineffective Breathing Pattern
  D) Decreased Cardiac Output

Question 2

Darryl is a 37-year-old man who has presented to a mental health drop-in center as a result of heavy pressure from his wife and teenage daughter.

Darryl states that his family calls him an alcoholic and they have threatened to leave if he does not get help. What statement should signal the nurse to the possibility that Darryl is ready to begin treatment for substance abuse?
  A) I'll be the first to admit that I'm a pretty heavy drinker, but so is everyone else that I work with.
  B) My dad was a drinking man, that's for sure, and I suppose I might have inherited a few of his bad habits.
  C) I guess my family's right; I probably can't keep this up for much longer.
  D) I guess 8 or 10 beers each night might be a little over the top, but I usually drink light beer.

blazinlyss

Answer to Question 1

Ans: C
All opioids are respiratory depressants; overdose is likely to result in inadequate oxygenation and prompt interventions are imperative. Opioids do not directly result in liver damage or decreased cardiac output.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
This individual's admission that his family is right about his drinking and the fact that he does not qualify this statement with an excuse or explanation suggest that he may be dropping his attitude of denial.