Author Question: Which of the following statements about bipolar disorders and gender is correct? A) Bipolar I ... (Read 29 times)

silviawilliams41

Which of the following statements about bipolar disorders and gender is correct?

A) Bipolar I disorder is more common in men than in women.
  B) Bipolar II disorder is more common in men than in women.
  C) Bipolar I disorder is more common in women than in men.
  D) Bipolar II disorder is more common in women than in men.

Question 2

When describing her state of mind, a client with a diagnosis of major depression states, It's like I'm in a black hole, and I just know that I'm never going to be able to get out.

Which of the following facts about depression should the nurse integrate into a therapeutic response to the client?
  A) The etiology of an individual's depression must be identified before determining whether it is treatable.
  B) Treatment of depression is more often successful in female clients that in male clients.
  C) Depression is a self-limiting condition, and clients typically benefit from this knowledge.
  D) Depression is highly treatable, but relapses are common even after treatment has been deemed successful.

kaykay69

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
Bipolar I disorder affects men and women equally; bipolar II disorder is more common in women (Baldasano et al., 2005). Women are more likely to experience mixed mania and manic switches during treatment with antidepressants.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D
Depression is highly treatable. Management tends to be more effective the earlier it is started, which also increases the likelihood of preventing recurrences. As with many psychiatric illnesses, relapses are common and often tied to the adherence of clients to their treatment regimens. The condition is not necessarily self-limiting, and treatment often precedes an exact identification of the etiology. Gender-based differences in treatment outcomes have not been identified.