This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is giving a presentation on mental health promotion at a community center. A participant ... (Read 38 times)

armygirl

A nurse is giving a presentation on mental health promotion at a community center. A participant states, My friend tells me I'm depressed because I don't have a lot of energy and have trouble concentrating.

I had to quit my full-time job because I don't seem to have the energy to manage it. But I don't want to kill myself or anything like that. Although more data are needed for diagnosis, the nurse suspects that the client may have which of the following?
  A) Bipolar II disorder
  B) Cyclothymic disorder
  C) Dysthymic disorder
  D) Major depressive disorder

Question 2

The nurse is interviewing a client with depression about recent stressors in her life and how she has coped. The client states, I just have bad luck. It doesn't matter what I do.

Nothing ever works out for me. Based on the client's statement, the nurse uses which of the following psychological theories as a basis for designing appropriate interventions?
  A) Psychodynamic theory
  B) Learned helplessness theory
  C) Feminist theory
  D) Psychoanalytic theory

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jonathanballen97

Answer to Question 1

Ans: C
Dysthymia is a mild depressive illness in which symptoms, such as poor appetite or overeating, insomnia or excessive sleep, low energy, fatigue, low self-esteem, poor concentration, and difficulty making decisions, are chronic but less severe than with major depression. Diagnostic criteria include depressed or irritable mood most of the day, occurring more days than not for at least 2 years.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B
The original theoretical model of learned helplessness proposed that people susceptible to mood disorders have come to believe, based on experience, that they are ineffective and have no influence on factors that cause their suffering (Seligman et al., 1974). Behaviors that define learned helplessness include passivity, negative expectations, and feelings of helplessness, hopelessness, and powerlessness.

armygirl

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

upturnedfurball

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

More than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized. At the height of their popularity, about 50 were marketed for human use.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

Did you know?

Patients who have undergone chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer often complain of a lack of mental focus; memory loss; and a general diminution in abilities such as multitasking, attention span, and general mental agility.

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library