Author Question: The nurse has been teaching a patient ways to improve sleep patterns at home. The nurse determines ... (Read 40 times)

Yolanda

The nurse has been teaching a patient ways to improve sleep patterns at home. The nurse determines that teaching has been effective when the patient states which of the following?

A) There isn't enough caffeine in most drinks to really affect sleep.
  B) I quit smoking a few days ago so I should be sleeping better already.
  C) A glass of wine before bed should help me sleep all through the night.
  D) I need to take cold medicine that contains caffeine no later than midafternoon.

Question 2

The nurse is admitting an elderly client to the medical-surgical unit for observation following a fall in her home. Which of the following statements would require additional assessment?

A) I usually wake up early in the morning, even before the sun comes up, just raring to go
  B) Sometimes after dinner I sit in my big chair, and before you know it I'm asleep
  C) I don't sleep as much as when I was younger.
  D) I don't sleep very well anymore, but then I'm getting old.

djpooyouma

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
Caffeine is a stimulant that results in delayed sleep onset, decreased total sleep time, increased wake after sleep onset, and decreased rapid eye movement (REM) and slowwave sleep. Caffeine is also found in over-the-counter cold preparations and stimulants. Although people differ in the intensity and duration of their response to caffeine-containing products, the effects of such products may last as long as 8 to 14 hours. Nicotine also has a powerful influence on sleep, producing more arousal with higher doses. Withdrawal from nicotine can result in irritability and inadequate sleep. Many people use alcohol to self-treat insomnia. Although its acute sedative effects may lead to drowsiness and shorten sleep latency, its longer-term effects include arousal and wakefulness.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D
The belief that sleep disturbance is a normal part of aging is particularly common among older adults and may prevent them from seeking help with genuine sleep problems. For this reason, health care providers must be especially cognizant of performing sleep assessments with older adult clients and assisting them with interventions to improve sleep.