This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A psychiatricmental health nurse is aware of the importance of promoting adherence to medication ... (Read 61 times)

anshika

A psychiatricmental health nurse is aware of the importance of promoting adherence to medication regimens. Which of the following reasons do clients cite most frequently as the cause for self-discontinuation of medication?

A) Fear of becoming addicted
  B) Social stigma associated with taking psychotropic medications
  C) Desire to control their own lives
  D) Adverse effects

Question 2

A client with depression has a history of discontinuing her medications and relapsing, often using alcohol and other substances to self-medicate.

A new nurse case manager is evaluating the treatment plan developed to enhance the client's ability to manage her medication regimen. The case manager determines that the plan has been effective when the client makes which of the following statements?
  A) I'm having some side effects, but I'm going to keep taking my medication.
  B) I'm feeling very well. I'm happy and in good spirits. I will resume my medication as soon as I feel the depression returning.
  C) I haven't had any side effects and will continue to take my medication, since it doesn't seem to be bothering me.
  D) The medicine doesn't seem to be working. I called my therapist and made an appointment to discuss other medications. In the meantime, I'm still taking it.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jonathanballen97

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
Clients may have many reasons for failing to adhere to medication regimens. The most frequent reason is adverse effects, many of which are debilitating and difficult to manage.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D
Nurses use a combination of techniques to evaluate medication adherence. The most important monitoring comes from discussing with clients their perceptions of responses to medication. Clients may share that they believe their psychiatric symptoms have improved (a positive response), but that they are experiencing adverse effects (negative). In monitoring for effectiveness of treatment, it is most favorable for the client to also express appropriate direction for self-care, such as seeking further care from a health professional.

anshika

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

parker125

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Computer programs are available that crosscheck a new drug's possible trade name with all other trade names currently available. These programs detect dangerous similarities between names and alert the manufacturer of the drug.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

Did you know?

The human body's pharmacokinetics are quite varied. Our hair holds onto drugs longer than our urine, blood, or saliva. For example, alcohol can be detected in the hair for up to 90 days after it was consumed. The same is true for marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, methamphetamine, and nicotine.

Did you know?

Green tea is able to stop the scent of garlic or onion from causing bad breath.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library