This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: During an individual therapy session, a nurse is listening to a client describe her addiction to ... (Read 9 times)

j.rubin

During an individual therapy session, a nurse is listening to a client describe her addiction to methamphetamine. The client says, I know I'm throwing my life away, but I just can't stop using.

The nurse maintains eye contact and occasionally nods as the client continues to discuss her addiction to drugs. The nurse responds by saying, You're going through a difficult time. The nurse's actions and words are an example of:
  A) Empathy
  B) Sympathy
  C) Apathy
  D) Nontherapeutic communication

Question 2

A client states that she is anxious about leaving a group home because she has not worked in many years. Using Beck's cognitive triad, the nurse understands that the client is concerned primarily about what?

A) Threats from the world
  B) Threats to her self
  C) Threats about her future
  D) Threats from her past

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

lgoldst9

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A
Being empathetic is an active process requiring careful listening and attending to the client. Direct eye contact, a concerned expression, occasional head nods, and a lean forward while listening are nonverbal communication skills that convey empathy. Empathetic responses, such as You're going through a difficult time, can provide clients with an opportunity to listen to themselves and gain self-awareness.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
All issues and problems can be subsumed under one or a combination of Beck's cognitive triad. One client may be more concerned about self (Can I do this?). This client is concerned about the future (Will there be a job for me? Will I be able to survive on my own?).

j.rubin

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

nothere

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Nearly 31 million adults in America have a total cholesterol level that is more than 240 mg per dL.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions may make getting pregnant impossible.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Did you know?

About 3.2 billion people, nearly half the world population, are at risk for malaria. In 2015, there are about 214 million malaria cases and an estimated 438,000 malaria deaths.

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library