Author Question: A 24-year-old client with severe and persistent schizophrenia lives in a halfway house for men-tally ... (Read 126 times)

gbarreiro

A 24-year-old client with severe and persistent schizophrenia lives in a halfway house for men-tally ill adults. Twice recently, he was found on the streets, having ingested large amounts of al-cohol.

For planning purposes, what can the nurse suggest is the most likely reason the client is abusing alcohol?
  1. As a suicide attempt
  2. For symptom relief
  3. To decrease inhibitions
  4. To gain attention

Question 2

The nurse is meeting with a group of parents of mentally ill children. Which of these statements from the mother of one of the clients indicates feelings of guilt?

1. I wonder what I could have done differently to prevent this problem.
  2. My son would be like other kids if my doctor had not been so careless.
  3. If my son attends regular classes, he'll be more like the other kids.
  4. Even though my son has this illness, he is a real joy to me.

jonathanballen97

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
Evidence suggests that substance abuse is a form of self-medication for severe and persistent mental illness; clients with schizophrenia are more likely to use alcohol for symptom relief than other drugs. 1. This is unlikely; the scenario does not mention depression or feelings of worthless or hopelessness. 3. It is true that alcohol decreases inhibitions, but it is unlikely that this is the client's reason for drinking. 4. No data support this option.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 1
This statement suggests that she is taking the blame for her son's disorder. Option 2 displays an-ger at the physician. Option 3 denies the son's illness. Option 4 indicates acceptance and ability to see positive aspects.