Author Question: A new nurse tells her mentor, I want to prepare myself to work in community psychiatric mental ... (Read 22 times)

tichca

A new nurse tells her mentor, I want to prepare myself to work in community psychiatric mental health nursing.

What tips can you give me? Based on knowledge of nursing roles in this specialty, the mentor should reply, The most useful thing you can do is:
  1. develop a strong understanding of psychopharmacology.
  2. learn about child growth and development.
  3. harden yourself to dealing with tragedy.
  4. cultivate the ability to be sympathetic.

Question 2

Home health agencies are eligible for third-party reimbursement for services provided when client need for assistance can be proven. Which of these incidents may negatively affect third-party payment?

1. Care was given by an unlicensed provider.
  2. There was failure to document availability of family support.
  3. Need for care was not described in nursing documentation.
  4. No signs of improvement were indicated in the record.

mmj22343

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 1
Medication management is a fundamental role of the community psychiatric mental health nurse. Knowing desired effects, untoward effects, and side effects of all groups of psychotropic medi-cations will provide a sound basis for monitoring clients responses to medications. Option 2 is useful, but not the most useful task. Options 3 and 4 would not be useful.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 3
Nurses are required to write descriptive notes at each visit to document the client's need for home health services. Without specific documentation, the agency will not receive reimburse-ment. 1. Aides may provide home health care as long as nursing documentation attests to the need for home care. 2. Family support has nothing to do with the question. 4. When there is no improvement, the nurse can more easily document the need for ongoing home health care.