This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client with AIDS tells the nurse, My recent life has been a series of losses. I've lost my job and ... (Read 17 times)

kaid0807

A client with AIDS tells the nurse, My recent life has been a series of losses. I've lost my job and my income, as well as my identity as a prominent business leader. What's next? What can the nurse offer that will facilitate adaptive coping?

1. I can see that you're feeling discouraged and hopeless.
  2. I will help you plan to live as normally as possible in the months ahead.
  3. Perhaps it would be wise to restrict your contacts to those who know of your illness.
  4. If you wish, I can help you investigate to see if you have been the victim of dis-crimination.

Question 2

The nurse is preparing to teach a client newly diagnosed with diabetes about medications and blood testing. As she teaches, the nurse knows that the client's effective coping will depend to a great degree on the client's:

1. Perceived self-efficacy
  2. External locus of control
  3. Choice of religion
  4. Number of significant others

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

billybob123

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
Nurses who engage in problem solving with clients help minimize the client's burden of adapting to the disease. With this remark, the nurse is assisting the client to make plans to maintain the highest level of functioning possible. Achieving the goal of living as normally as possible will enhance self-esteem. Option 1 focuses on negative feelings and does not help the client move ahead. Option 3 suggests severing relationships at a time when social networking is important. Option 4 does not move the client into the future.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 1
Research has shown that, especially with chronic diseases, perceived self-efficacy (internal locus of control) increases the likelihood of managing difficult situations. Option 2 is incorrect since external locus of control is associated with the client feeling they have no control. A particular religion has not been associated with effective coping and the number of significant others have not been influential.

Did you know?

Most women experience menopause in their 50s. However, in 1994, an Italian woman gave birth to a baby boy when she was 61 years old.

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

In 2010, opiate painkllers, such as morphine, OxyContin®, and Vicodin®, were tied to almost 60% of drug overdose deaths.

Did you know?

There are over 65,000 known species of protozoa. About 10,000 species are parasitic.

Did you know?

The shortest mature adult human of whom there is independent evidence was Gul Mohammed in India. In 1990, he was measured in New Delhi and stood 22.5 inches tall.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library