Author Question: The client's daughter, a bank teller, was murdered in a bank robbery a month ago while the mother ... (Read 55 times)

james9437

The client's daughter, a bank teller, was murdered in a bank robbery a month ago while the mother was a customer in the bank.

The client is seeking help because, as she explains it, I feel numb, like a robot going through the motions of existing, but not feeling anything. The thought of my daughter being gunned down in the bank keeps blotting out my other thoughts. I jump at the slightest noise, and I'm not sleeping well. The nurse determines that the client's symptoms most closely resemble:
  1. Chronic sorrow
  2. Clinical depression
  3. Anticipatory grieving
  4. Post-traumatic stress disorder

Question 2

The nurse entering the field of bereavement counseling determines that the most effective point of intervention for bereavement is:

1. Promotion of mental and spiritual health across the life span
  2. At the time a newly discovered loss is impending
  3. Immediately after the loss has occurred
  4. When requested by the client

owenfalvey

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 4
The traumatic nature of the murder and the client's symptoms of hypervigilance, intrusive thoughts, and numbness indicate PTSD. These symptoms are greater than those occurring in the depression and grief listed in options 1, 2, or 3.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 1
Effective health promotion before stress and loss are most helpful, and option 1 is correct. Op-tions 2, 3, and 4 all provide help around the time of loss, which is helpful but not as effective as long-term help throughout a person's life.