This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client who has received lithium for 3 weeks to control acute mania has the following symp-toms: ... (Read 59 times)

nummyann

A client who has received lithium for 3 weeks to control acute mania has the following symp-toms: coarse hand tremor, diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, and mild confusion. The priority nursing action should be to:

1. Administer prn Cogentin to relieve extrapyramidal symptoms
  2. Provide reassurance that the symptoms are transient
  3. Obtain a stat lithium level; hold lithium pending results
  4. Decrease the sodium in the client's diet

Question 2

Which statement by a client with generalized anxiety disorder for whom lorazepam (Ativan) is prescribed prn suggests the client understands the purpose of the medication?

1. I can talk with my therapist more easily after my medication takes effect.
  2. I wonder if I will have to take this medication for the rest of my life.
  3. I don't want anyone to know I'm on this medication.
  4. I'm going to ask for my prn so I can sleep instead of go to group.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

matt95

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 3
The symptoms the client is experiencing are consistent with moderate lithium toxicity. The nurse should hold lithium, obtain a stat lithium level, and notify the physician. 1. This is inappropriate; the symptoms are not EPS. 2. The nurse may reassure the client but cannot suggest that the symptoms will resolve over time. 4. This would worsen lithium toxicity.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 1
The client recognizes the therapeutic effects of the medication in assisting her to work effectively with the therapist. Option 2 shows lack of knowledge. Option 3 displays lack of acceptance of having an anxiety disorder. Option 4 shows problem avoidance.

nummyann

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

bimper21

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

When Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer, he called "zero degrees" the lowest temperature he was able to attain with a mixture of ice and salt. For the upper point of his scale, he used 96°, which he measured as normal human body temperature (we know it to be 98.6° today because of more accurate thermometers).

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

People with high total cholesterol have about two times the risk for heart disease as people with ideal levels.

Did you know?

Human kidneys will clean about 1 million gallons of blood in an average lifetime.

Did you know?

The average office desk has 400 times more bacteria on it than a toilet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library