This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: During a medication management class for nurses, the pharmacist discussing tricyclic ... (Read 17 times)

fox

During a medication management class for nurses, the pharmacist discussing tricyclic antidepres-sants asked how these medications affect neurotransmitter activity. The nurse should respond:

1. By decreasing available dopamine.
  2. By increasing availability of norepinephrine and serotonin.
  3. By making available increased amounts of monoamine oxidase.
  4. By increasing the effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid.

Question 2

The nurse was leading a medication management group for clients who were being discharged from the hospital. Which of these statements made by a client taking phenelzine (Nardil) would warrant further instruction?

1. I sometimes forget to wear sunscreen when I go for a walk.
  2. I need to restrict the amount of sodium in my diet.
  3. I should not use over-the-counter cold medications.
  4. I usually order liver and onions when my wife and I eat out.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nanny

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
Tricyclic antidepressants block neurotransmitter uptake, increasing the amounts of norepinephrine and serotonin available. 1. This is the action of typical antipsychotic medication. 3. This is not the action of tricyclics. 4. Benzodiazepines, not tricyclics, increase the effects of GABA.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 4
MAOIs require clients to observe a tyramine-free diet to prevent hypertensive crisis. Liver is a food that contains large amounts of tyramine. Options 1, 2, and 3 have no relevance for MAOI therapy.

fox

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

helenmarkerine

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

The horizontal fraction bar was introduced by the Arabs.

Did you know?

The effects of organophosphate poisoning are referred to by using the abbreviations “SLUD” or “SLUDGE,” It stands for: salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation, GI upset, and emesis.

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library