Author Question: The nurse was reviewing notes she had written following a session with a family who had begun ... (Read 19 times)

xroflmao

The nurse was reviewing notes she had written following a session with a family who had begun therapy in hopes of becoming a more unified family. Because of their schedules, they were feel-ing alienated and estranged from each other.

Which statement by the 16-year-old son was considered by the therapist as positive evidence of movement toward problem resolution?
  1. I have stopped playing football since practice required me to be away from home so often.
  2. Eating dinner with my parents on Sunday nights has helped us be more aware of each other's needs.
  3. Since my mother quit her job, she is more available to keep the home running smoothly.
  4. My dad has stopped giving me advice on how to live my life.

Question 2

After attending a group session for 6 weeks, a client was terminating from the group. She be-lieved she had successfully met her established objectives and could manage without the group support.

When sharing her feelings about separating, the client stated, I feel a bit sad and empty that I won't be seeing you folks again. What is the most accurate evaluation of the client's statement?
  1. It indicates regression and her lack of readiness to terminate.
  2. Unconsciously, she is hoping she will be permitted to continue the group.
  3. She is demonstrating normal feelings associated with termination.
  4. She needs further evaluation by her therapist to determine readiness to terminate.

zhanghao

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
This statement shows the family has made an effort to improve communication and deal with alienation without any one member bearing complete responsibility. 1. Withdrawing from the team suggests he felt solely responsible for the family problem. 3. Quitting the job suggests the mother saw herself as responsible; however, being home does not guarantee unification. 4. This suggests withdrawal of the father from participation in family matters.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 3
The client is expressing feelings of sadness over the loss of the therapeutic group relationships that have been helpful to her. Such feelings are considered normal, just as they are considered normal when the nurse-client relationship terminates. 1. The feelings expressed are normal, not regressive. 2. No hidden meaning is present; the client openly expressed genuine feelings. 4. Fur-ther evaluation is not needed. The expression of feelings by the client is considered normal.