This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client who has been diagnosed as having bulimia nervosa is hospitalized for treatment of ... (Read 39 times)

crobinson2013

A client who has been diagnosed as having bulimia nervosa is hospitalized for treatment of elec-trolyte imbalance. Just before lunch is finished, the client leaves the table and walks quickly in the direction of the bathroom. The nurse should say:

1. No one is allowed to leave the dining room during meals.
  2. I must accompany you when you go to the bathroom.
  3. I think I understand your plan, and I cannot permit you to carry it out.
  4. Wouldn't it be preferable to exercise rather than vomit?

Question 2

While auditing care plans for clients with eating disorders, the nurse realizes that a nursing diag-nosis appropriate for a client with anorexia nervosa as well as for a client with bulimia nervosa is:

1. Ineffective denial
  2. Adult failure to thrive
  3. Chronic low self-esteem
  4. Risk for imbalanced body temperature

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kthug

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
Patients with bulimia nervosa induce vomiting to prevent weight gain. Close observation for at least an hour after meals should be part of the treatment plan. Option 1 does not account for the fact that the client might actually need to void or defecate. Option 3 engages in one-upmanship behavior. It's like saying, Ha ha I caught you being bad 4. This suggestion is grossly non-therapeutic.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 3
With both anorexia and bulimia, the client is displeased with self and experiences negative feel-ings about self based on body image disturbances. 1. This would be seen in clients with anorexia nervosa. 2. This diagnosis would not be applicable to either disorder. 4. This diagnosis would be more applicable to a client with anorexia nervosa than a client with bulimia nervosa.

kthug

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

Pubic lice (crabs) are usually spread through sexual contact. You cannot catch them by using a public toilet.

Did you know?

Though Candida and Aspergillus species are the most common fungal pathogens causing invasive fungal disease in the immunocompromised, infections due to previously uncommon hyaline and dematiaceous filamentous fungi are occurring more often today. Rare fungal infections, once accurately diagnosed, may require surgical debridement, immunotherapy, and newer antifungals used singly or in combination with older antifungals, on a case-by-case basis.

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

Did you know?

Adults are resistant to the bacterium that causes Botulism. These bacteria thrive in honey – therefore, honey should never be given to infants since their immune systems are not yet resistant.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library